Top tips on dressing your Christmas tree from Steve Watling
Now that December is upon us those lovers of all things Christmas will be raring to go with getting their tree up! We predict many a step ladder will be reached for and the decorations dug out of storage this weekend, but before you get going take a moment to pause and read our top tips from Interior Designer Steve Watling on how to dress your tree to make it look stunning:
• Always put your lights on first, and it’s a good idea to check they are working before you start!
• Separate your baubles into groups of those similar in colour or shape.
• Ideally try to stick to a minimum of different colours and if you must use several, use colours of similar tones. (Having said that a traditional tree with reds and greens is Ok – just don’t go crazy with 65 different colours!)
• Start with one of the groups of bauble and put them onto the tree trying to space them out evenly. Then move onto the next group and keep on filling it in until you have used up all your baubles. You can never have too many baubles is what I say!
• A nice finishing touch is to fill in with festive picks, sprayed branches or cones.
• Finally, and it’s got to be said – if you must use that sentimental stuff children have made my top tip is suggest a “special” tree for it somewhere else. If that isn’t working try to get away with putting it in a secluded position. But it is your tree after all so you can choose, just don’t blame me if it doesn’t look super gorgeous!
So there you have it. For those of you that have seen Steve’s work in our Wetherby showroom you will know he knows what he is talking about – the only question now is do you have the right decorations or enough of them?
If you would like some advice bring a photo of what you already have into the showroom and Steve or one of the other members of our talented team can help you add to your collection from our huge range of fabulous baubles, picks and other decorations – but be prepared for Steve’s favourite question “how much do you love it?”!
*Don’t forget to enter our Facebook competition to win a £50 Furnish&Fettle Voucher – simply post a picture of your beautifully decorated tree in the comments on the competition post to be in with a chance. Head judge Steve Watling’s decision is final (but he is open to bribery with cake!)*